APAL is creating a better future for Australian apple and pear growers, through industry leadership and commercial advancement, domestically and overseas.
There are over 500 commercial apple and/or pear growers in Australia responsible for producing the largest volume of fruit for fresh produce consumption, after bananas. The Australian Bureau of Statistics recorded the combined apple and pear industries produced more than 372,103 tonnes of fruit for the year ending 30 June 2018. Compared to other apple and pear producing countries, Australia represents around 0.8 per cent of world production of apples and 1.4 per cent of world pear production.
Owing to a strong and competitive domestic market, Australia currently exports only a small proportion of its apples and pears – around 1 – 2 per cent of apples, and 8 per cent of pears. The industry is looking to scale up this export program, offering overseas consumers premium fruit of sweet taste, crunchy texture and bright colour, coupled with exacting food safety standards, ensuring a superior eating experience time and time again.
Australian Apple production is dominated by three varieties:
- Cripps Pink, an Australian-bred cross between Golden Delicious and Lady Williams and sold as Pink Lady, is a firm, sweet and crisp apple with an attractive pink blush;
- Gala (including Royal Gala), is an early season, sweet, bright red apple
- Granny Smith, a hard apple with a crisp tart flavor, perfect for baking or salads
The composition of Australian apple orchards is shifting as these and other, more traditional apple varieties such as Golden Delicious and Red Delicious, are replaced with newer licensed or managed varieties such as Bravo™, Kalei™, Yello™ and high-colour Cripps Pink strains.
Pear production in Australia is also dominated by three varieties:
- Packham, a firm, green pear with a rich, juicy flavor;
- Williams Bon Chretien, a versatile green pear that turns yellow as it ripens; and
- Beurré Bosc, known for its distinctive russet brown skin and sweet flavor.
New, branded pear opportunities, including Goulburn River Gold® pears are available for export markets, providing quality controlled, coordinated supply from the Goulburn Valley region of Victoria, Australia.
Apples are grown throughout Australia, from the fertile granite soils 1000m above sea level in Stanthorpe, Queensland to the cool, mild climates of the Tamar and Huon river valleys in Tasmania. Almost all pears are grown in the sun drenched Goulburn Valley in Victoria.