Avocados Australia is the industry representative body in Australia for avocados and provides a range of services to their members and the broader industry to foster growth and development. Avocados Australia is a not-for-profit, membership-based organisation. Members include avocado growers, associated businesses and industry people.
THE AUSTRALIAN AVOCADO INDUSTRY
The Australian avocado industry can supply avocados year-round. Our peak production period is from April to December. The Australian avocado industry comprises 800 growers across the country and in 2017/18 the Australian avocado industry produced 77,032 tonnes of avocados worth an estimated gross value of production (GVP) of $AU557 million.
Australia’s key avocado growing areas are North, Central and South East Queensland, Northern and Central New South Wales, the Tristate area (South Australia, Victoria, South Western New South Wales and Tasmania) and Western Australia. The main varieties grown for market are Hass (78%), and Shepard (19%).
THE BENEFITS OF AUSTRALIAN AVOCADOS
- Exceptional health properties
- Unique texture and flavour
- Versatile – use them in savoury or sweet dishes
- Use world-leading production systems
- Long established, experienced industry
- Highly regulated food safety standards
- Australia can deliver the freshest product to Asia within 48hrs.
- Rich in healthy monounsaturated fats for a healthy heart and also helps manage weight
- Contains antioxidants, including vitamin C and E and carotenoids
- High in fibre, especially soluble fibre for healthy bowel function
- Contains folate so is beneficial for pregnant women
- Perfect first food for baby
Growing or Sourcing Region